Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 8: Reuse Old Jars to Store Dried Snacks, Beans, and Grains

     It has been one full week since I have started this 101 day challenge and I am already starting to feel different. I have more energy, I don’t feel guilty about the food I eat, and all my digestive problems have almost disappeared. Now all I have to do is keep it up for 93 more days!

     Today I opened my cabinets and to my dismay there were half opened bags of beans, rice and other dried food, which had accumulated from my first week, everywhere. Those who know me know that I am something of a neat freak, and I couldn’t stand have this clutter, so I came up with a solution. I decided to be environmentally friendly and revamp all the old empty tea bag containers I had from Starbucks to help organize my mess. 



      I think they turned out lovely, what do you think? If you are in need of something to organize your clutter just reuse your glass marinara or salsa jars once you are done with them. This is a perfect way to store your food for most of these jars are air tight. Just make sure to throughly wash them as well as scrape off all the labels before using them.

      For dinner I quickly put together pasta with tomato sauce, a side of garden salad (from day 3), and a couple slices of rosemary bread. I think I am getting the hang of this. 



Tomato and Olive Pasta Sauce

1 can (8 oz) of tomato sauce
Basil
2 cloves of minced garlic
1 tablespoons of olive oil
half a can (5 oz) of chopped olives

   Step 1: Heat the oil in a small frying pan and saute the garlic.

   Step 2: Once the oil is hot add the tomato sauce, basil, and chopped olives. Cook on medium heat until sauce reaches the desired temperature. Serve over whole grain pasta.

1 comment:

  1. Love the containers for bean and rice, GREAT IDEA

    ReplyDelete