Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Day 1: "Follow Your Heart" Review

    The first day of my challenge started off just like any other day. I still had my cheerios with soy milk for breakfast and continued on with my day having a PB&J sandwich with a side of pretzels for my bag lunch.  I slide by breakfast and lunch without a single change in my routine, but I knew dinner would be a whole another story. Knowing that dinner was going to become a challenge my boyfriend and I decided to check out the well loved vegan restaurant and grocery store “Follow Your Heart” in Canoga park.


     As soon as I walked into the small store I felt like I was walking into a different culture. The room smelled heavily of incense and all the employees looked like they stepped out of the 70’s adorned with dreadlocks and funky hair dye. When I looked around I found they had ingeniously combined a boutique, book store, grocery store, and restaurant all into one. There was a small humble but decent section for each.


    After looking down isle and isles of different versions of meat and dairy substitutes I eventually decided on trying out their Follow your heart vegan nacho cheese, the earth balance vegan butter, and flax seed (which is supposed to be good for omega-3).

    Once we were done with our shopping we curiously tried out the vegan dishes at their restaurant. I ordered a custom made pizza with a whole wheat pizza crust, some type of yellow sauce, vegan cheese, artichoke hearts, basil, and roasted red bell peppers. My boyfriend cautiously tried the angel hair pasta pomodoro with vegan parmesan cheese on top. 


 Both dishes were stunning extraordinary. I can’t believe I have lived in the valley all this time and have never found this gem. For more pictures and information visit there review site on Yelp.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! I have been to this restaurant many times, and it is one of my favorites! I am so glad you finally found it! Be sure you order the vegan desserts next time!

    ReplyDelete