Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 11: Veggie Burger and Sweet Potato Chips

    I had an early morning today, and didn't have that much time before heading off to my internship. Because of this time constraint I quickly whipped together the usually bowl of cereal with soy milk, as well as added fresh sliced strawberries on top for extra flavor.



    Later that evening when I returned home from a day of work I decided to try out something new for dinner. 

    Veggie burgers are pretty main stream now, but I have never had a chance to taste one until now. It was definitely an interesting experience to say the least. Truth be told I don’t really know how I feel about them for the actual paddy was minuscule compared to the amount of toppings I had on my hamburger. Along with the tiny tofu paddy I had large amount of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, as well as the usual ketchup and mustard. If I learned anything from this experience is that if you want to truly taste the paddy, as you would a normal size hamburger, you would have to double the paddies up.


     Along with a veggie burger, I had a side of sweet potato chips marinated in "butter" and olive, with a little salt and pepper.

Sweet Potato Chips

1 small to medium yam
"butter" (earth balance)
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

    Step 1: Thinly slice the yam into 1/4 inch round slices. Then throw them into a plastic bag and add the melted "butter", olive oil, and salt and pepper mixture. Shake the bag making sure to evenly coat each slice. Then let sit to marinate for a few minutes

     Step 2: Preheat the oven from 350 to 400 degrees. Lay out all the slices without overlapping them on a baking sheet. Cook the slices for about 5 to 7 minutes before taking them out and flipping them. Put them in the oven again for about 5 to 7 minutes until they start to get crispy. (I like to cook them until they are almost burn to get them really crispy) 

     On another note, when debating between having a beef hamburger or some substitute such as a veggie burger know the actual impact of your choice. Did you know that every time you pass up a beef hamburger you will be saving as much water as you save by taking 40 showers with a low-flow nozzle? Or the fact that eating a vegan diet prevents more CO2 admissions than switching from a large sedan to a Toyota Prius? Raising animals such as cows for food actually causes more global warming than all the cars and trucks in the world combined! Now that is something to think about before you take a bite into your next hamburger. That, and the previous clip from Jamie Oliver’s Food Revelotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment