Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 10: Greek Salad with Tofu (Instead of Feta)

     Today I ventured out once again to the grocery store to get my week’s worth of groceries. The biggest change since starting this challenge is that I have to buy smaller amounts of food, as well as more often, when I go grocery shopping. This way I always have fresh fruits and vegetables while keeping them from going bad. This hasn’t been so hard for I have realized my boyfriend and I recently have made the habit of going to the grocery store every day. I think we even went twice in one day a couple times! What can I say we love our food.


    When I went out today I brought my trusty t-shirt grocery bags I made last week. I got so many complements at Trader Joe’s for something as simple as a cut up t-shirt that I have decided to share how easy it is to make one. So if you have a bunch of old t-shirts just lying around the house, instead of throwing them away, try making them into reusable grocery bags. Check out this great video from you tube for step by step instructions.


     After coming back from the grocery store I decided to make a Greek salad with a side of black beans and rice for dinner. I got this great recipe from the cookbook the "Giant book of Tofu Cooking" by K. Lee Evans and Chris Rankin. I thought it was ingenious how they expanded on the Greek salad idea and used tofu instead of feta cheese.  This was definitely a different type of salad than I am use to but was a nice change. I normally think of a salad as something that mainly consists of lettuce, but this new recipe included almost everything but lettuce. Try it yourself and let me know what you think.



Greek Salad with Tofu

Salad:
16 ounces of firm tofu, cubed
1 cup of canned garbanzo beans
½ cup of sliced or chopped black olives
½ cup of parsley sprigs (I just used dried parsley)
½ medium red onion
2 large tomatoes, dices
1 small cucumber

Dressing:
1/3 cup of olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons of honey (some people believe honey isn’t vegan but mine is from a beekeeper I personally    
                                            know who treats them well : )
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper

(Serves 6)




   

No comments:

Post a Comment