Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 69: Orange-Apricot Oatmeal


      This morning I tried to perfect the orange-apricot oatmeal I made last Sunday morning. The original recipe that I tried came out ok, but it was a little too fruity for my personal taste. My boyfriend on the other hand had liked the strong taste of the dried apricots and orange juice for he found it helped him wake up in the morning.  I found the original recipe in the book “The Vegan Source Book” by Joanne Stephaniak.


      For the new recipe I reduced the sheer amount of orange juice and switched out the maple syrup for my favorite sweetener, brown sugar. Hope you like it.

Orange-Apricot Oatmeal
1 cup of rolled oats
1 1/2 cups cold water
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped dried apricots
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of sea salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (optional)

    Step 1: Pour the water and orange juice in a medium pan and place on low heat until it is just about to boil.
   
    Step 2: Add all the other ingredients and stir frequently for about 2 minutes or until the oatmeal starts to thicken. Remove from heat and cover for 1 to 2 minutes before serving.

(Serves 2)

      

No comments:

Post a Comment