Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 36: Kale Chips

    The cool thing about the library I got to is they have a freebie box where everyone can put there unwanted books or magazines, and every once and a while I find something good. Today I got lucky and picked up the "Competitor" which is a popular running magazine. Inside this particular issue they included a vegan recipe for kale chips, which I was excited to try.


    Tonight for dinner I took the left over pizza ingredients I had in the fridge and made a mini pizza on whole wheat pita bread. Along with my pizza I had made a side of kale chips, seasoned with just a little bit of olive oil and salt. Kale is one of those many super veggies that is high in antioxidants as well as various vitamins such as beta carotine, vitamin K, vitamin C, lutein, zeaxanthin, and calcium.


    The kale tasted a little to much to me like brussels sprouts, but then again I didn't buy the right type of kale for the recipe either. I intrigued by the consistency, for I have never had salad chips before. I definitely would make it again, but I tweaked the recipe a little bit so it should turn out even better next time.

Kale Chips


1/3 cup of Olive Oil
Tuscan or Lacinato Kale, with the stems removed
Sea salt

Step 1: Rinse the kale before removing chunks of the leaf from the stem. Place the kale leaves on a baking sheet and brush both sides of it with olive oil. Then lightly sprinkle with sea salt.

Step 2: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and let it cook for about 20 minutes until crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment